I looove the 4th of July. Like as much as some people love Christmas. I've just always been a summer girl, and the 4th is the epitome of summer to me. It is family, friends, bar-b-que and sunshine. It is the celebration of everything America -- freedom, apple pie, red white and blue. It is fireworks, water, and the Peachtree Road Race. The 4th is like Christmas without the commercialism or the pressure to buy presents and go to a million parties. And there's usually beach time on or around the holiday.
Brooke and I escaped this week to the St. Simons. She's a nurse and works odd schedules like me, so we are partners-in-crime when it comes to randomly getting away. We spent our days in the reality-free-zone aka Sea Island Beach Club -- laying out, walking on the beach, and hunting shark's teeth. We were very grandmotherly at night and went to dinner and then... bed. Only after catching up on our tv online. Brooke and I are very good beach buddies. It was the best!
Brooke and I escaped this week to the St. Simons. She's a nurse and works odd schedules like me, so we are partners-in-crime when it comes to randomly getting away. We spent our days in the reality-free-zone aka Sea Island Beach Club -- laying out, walking on the beach, and hunting shark's teeth. We were very grandmotherly at night and went to dinner and then... bed. Only after catching up on our tv online. Brooke and I are very good beach buddies. It was the best!

Introducing little Anne Eliza Johnson...my newest niece. She is a tiny sack of sugar with the world's sweetest feet and hands. She also has some pretty fantastic eyes, although she was not very interested in showing her aunt p her baby blues. Her beautiful mother and one of my best friends Adrian came to the beach to meet me. Liza is absolutely precious!
Our first day on the beach, I saw a really tall guy running down the beach and said to Brooke, "I think that's my cousin!" So I chased him a little bit and sure enough it was Clarence. May seem odd that I wasn't sure if it was my relative, but I haven't seen him in forever. I've run into him and his cutie-pie son, Clay, a couple times over the last few years at Georgia games, but I have not seen the beautiful girls -- wife Lu Anne or daughter Chandler -- since Chandler was in an infant seat! We had dinner at one of our mutual favorite ssi spots -- Bubba Garcia's -- and caught up on the last decade. It was lots of fun!
I have always loved Clarence. He and his brother were my idols when I was a little girl. They were (and obv still are) very tall, handsome, and went to UGA. They would put me on their 6'4"ish shoulders at Christmas and toss me around...I thought they were the greatest! In fact, when I was young and bratty (imagine that, right?!), I would get mad and scream, "I don't love anybody but God, Jesus, and Clarence and York." They were UP THERE in my book!
Our first day on the beach, I saw a really tall guy running down the beach and said to Brooke, "I think that's my cousin!" So I chased him a little bit and sure enough it was Clarence. May seem odd that I wasn't sure if it was my relative, but I haven't seen him in forever. I've run into him and his cutie-pie son, Clay, a couple times over the last few years at Georgia games, but I have not seen the beautiful girls -- wife Lu Anne or daughter Chandler -- since Chandler was in an infant seat! We had dinner at one of our mutual favorite ssi spots -- Bubba Garcia's -- and caught up on the last decade. It was lots of fun!
I have always loved Clarence. He and his brother were my idols when I was a little girl. They were (and obv still are) very tall, handsome, and went to UGA. They would put me on their 6'4"ish shoulders at Christmas and toss me around...I thought they were the greatest! In fact, when I was young and bratty (imagine that, right?!), I would get mad and scream, "I don't love anybody but God, Jesus, and Clarence and York." They were UP THERE in my book!
Clay, Chandler, Paige, Lu Anne, Clarence
Now I'm in Atlanta with the fam, and we are cooking out tonight. Yum! We'll top off the night with some fireworks and maybe a DQ blizzard if we're feeling really crazy. Then, another fabulous 4th will be on the books. Happy Birthday, America!
1 comment:
Adrian's baby girl is precious! What a fun trip to the beach... that is fun that you got to see some family! I hope you enjoyed the 4th at home. Give your mom a big hug for me. Happy 4th a day late! :)
Post a Comment